Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Jan 12. The Art of Pushing.


This place is a microcosm of my India experience.  People everywhere.  There are people everywhere in the streets of Mumbai.  There are people everywhere at the yoga shala.  Crammed on the steps, in the foyer, the bathrooms and changing rooms.  The crowd presses against the doors anticipating Sunday lead primary series.  The art of pushing in line, well I might call it pressing rather than pushing to imply a more subtle action, is very important here.  I learned about pressing in Tirupati most recently, though I’ve pressed and been pressed in many lines in many situations over the years of travel here.  The key is not to be an asshole, but not a push-over either.  Truth is, if I don’t press, someone else will.  Everyone will end up in there doing practice and I’ll be on the steps wondering how I got to be in the back.  It happens before you know it. 

The polite, orderly nature of the Western queue just doesn’t pan out here.  There is a self-governing movement of the crowd, which must be present for anything to happen in India.  You see it in the flow of road traffic, at the ticket window at the train station, and now at the yoga shala.  Getting pushed in line at the yoga class?  It’s an India thing.  No problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment