I
have been holding a 3-month course for the Mysore crew here in Boston to study
the larger context of the primary series asana practice according to the
teachings of Patthabhi Jois. Our course books are Yoga Mala, and Stephen Mitchell’s Bhagavad Gita. We are looking into purification of the body,
nerves, and mind through Asana, breathing system, and Drishti. In a homework
assignment, a student writes:
“I am reminded that there are SO many aspects
of yoga to incorporate into your life. I mean the daily asana practice is
trying enough, but to also study and understand the yamas, niyamas, make time
for pranayama, contemplate the
universal self, how do YOU do it? How do you live your life and also dedicate
time to really understand all 8 limbs… they really challenge and require a
complete change of thinking. And even when I feel my thinking is changing, it’s
difficult to sustain it in a society that focuses on doing, material gain, and
isolation. Any suggestions? I know on the mat, you tell us to start at Ekam, is there an “ekam” per se for
things off the mat?”
No doubt these sentiments are familiar to many
of us. I remember reading Yoga Mala while living in Encintas, working at the
health food store and practicing with Tim Miller. I remember reading not to
participate in social gatherings, or to eat many vegetables. Funny what the
mind takes note of. I did eat vegetables, but I did not socialize. I made very
few friends during my 6 months in so-cal. Looking back, the system of checks
and balances which arise from living in community would have relieved some
suffering for me.
Yes, it would seem a few words on Ekam
off-the-mat could be helpful indeed.
First off, let’s get hip to the gradual nature
of change. When Guruji said “99% practice, 1% theory” he was saving us all some
strife. Theory describes the goal, but it is the practice of daily life through
which we establish ourselves in yoga. No one shows up to yoga practice having
mastered any of it, the asana, or the first limb of Yama. That is why 99%
practice. Changes in paradigm happen much like asana. Slowly, slowly. Pay
attention, keep paying attention, trust the method, and have patience.
Now to deliver a suggestion for Ekam. Something
practical, as my nature requires…
In discussion with my partner Rich who brings
the Buddhist attitude, we came to
SELF-ACCEPTANCE.
I’m sorry it’s not something more tangible like
Abhyanga. But truly, to begin the work of changing physical and mental
patterning, as Ashtanga yoga does, one would best begin at being OK with the
here and now. Approaching yoga from a vantage point of how far-from-yoga things
are now can be a recipe for suffering. Where-as Ekam inhale reminds, hey, I
made it; I’m here; I’m OK, and I’m going to do my best now. I’m going to take
this practice one step at a time.
Each step the aspirant comes ever-closer to a
state of yoga.
Life Example: Drawing on my Ayurveda studies,
food is always a good starting point. How we nourish ourselves is integral to
yoga practice, and how we eat is often affected by our cultural surroundings.
Changing the diet may raise a few eyebrows, while not changing the diet may
sink a few postures.
Yoga is as yoga does, right?
The next time you are making a choice for a mindful meal, when others might be imbibing, eating meat, or stuffing food in the face without chewing, notice if you feel a struggle. Take a step back, pay attention, notice if there is a mean voice in your head criticizing you or another. Try taking a breath and accepting this moment as well as the people and the foods present. Then go ahead and enjoy your meal, having tasted a few Yama and Niyama for appetizers.
The next time you are making a choice for a mindful meal, when others might be imbibing, eating meat, or stuffing food in the face without chewing, notice if you feel a struggle. Take a step back, pay attention, notice if there is a mean voice in your head criticizing you or another. Try taking a breath and accepting this moment as well as the people and the foods present. Then go ahead and enjoy your meal, having tasted a few Yama and Niyama for appetizers.
om
No comments:
Post a Comment